To setup a game, you will need the following items:
- One pallina ball (the smaller target ball, usually white)
- Four bocce balls (of a color for Team One such as red)
- Four bocce balls (of a color for Team Two such as blue)
- A tape measure (to confirm close calls during gameplay)
- A bocce court area that is 76ft long and 10ft wide
Bocce Rules of Play:Form two teams with up to four players on each team. Toss a coin to choose which team plays first. The team that wins the toss begins the game by tossing he pallino toward the opposite end of the court. The pallino must pass the center of the court but not go further than the four foot line. Balls are tossed or rolled underhand.
Teams now alternate tossing and throwing the bocce balls while trying to get closest to the pallino or to knock the opponent's ball further away.
In each frame, only one team scores. Scoring is calculated each frame played as follows:
- 1 point for each ball that is closer to the pallina than the opposing team.
- 2 points for each ball that is touching the pallina.
- 0 points if both team's bocce balls are equidistant from the pallina.
Frames are repeated until one team reaches a set point total. Typical totals are 12 - 16 points.